Monday, April 2, 2012

Cleaning Out My Closets

I recently came across The Red Kitchen's series Living With Less and it's got me thinking.  Now, I am all for cleaning out my closets, my mom had me donating old clothes and toys regularly my whole life so I don't think I generally have a problem with wanting to keep too much stuff.... but I'm also an extraordinarily sentimental person.  So... I do keep a lot of stuff.

When I was a kid I can remember wanting a huge filing cabinet with a full on library-style card catalog to organize my magazines by article... seriously I was like 9 years old.  Things tend to stick around in my house for a while if I'm not diligent about sorting through the stuff.  We have an "office" (and I use the term loosely) that basically holds my crap, and by "crap" I mean, the stuff that I feel like I might do something with some day or the supplies needed for undetermined future craft projects.  I mean, this stuff is useful!  When I decided to move Lazy Mondays HQ (as it is affectionately called around these parts) into the "office" I knew I had a large project ahead of me.

Just SOME of the stuff that came off that shelving!
This photo does not represent the magnitude of stuff that was stored in the "office" well.  Apparently I'm still a little crazy with the magazines.  Definitely not full-on hoarding status.  They sat nicely on a bookshelf organized by date and title... the trouble is the second that they are put up there they don't move. ever.  In the three years that we have had this house, I have not once picked up one of the magazines from that shelf to read... I may have picked one up to squish a bug...  Anyway, they are completely useless and as much as I would still love that filing cabinet for magazines complete with card catalog... it's just not happening... because I'm not that crazy.  So we have taken a full truck load... or rather... crossover-SUV-load of stuff to Goodwill already and I have a feeling that another trip is in the works soon.

I did find a fantastic use for those magazines... more on that later ;)

5 comments:

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Doesn't it feel good to get rid of stuff you don't need? We are always purging, but, sadly, still have way too much stuff. It doesn't help that both sets of parents downsized their homes over the last few years and we took many, many cast-offs.

Susie Tenzer said...

ahhhh...spring cleaning....

lazymondays said...

I had that problem too. Every time my parents cleaned out their closets mine got a lot more full! I'm finally getting somewhere :)

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

I used to be a sentimental keeper of stuff, too! But when my husband and I moved in together a few years ago, we both realized how much crap we had. We used to jam stuff into every available inch of space, but over the last year-ish we've really gotten rid of a lot. It feels so much better in here without all of it. :-)

Renee said...

Great post, and timely. I just started my "spring cleaning", and I always seem to find lots to bring to the goodwill!

Thank you for stopping by my blog Nostalgic Summer. :-)
Renee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...