Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Jack Daniels Sauce Fail

A little story for a tragically un-lazy day...

I truly enjoy cooking.  I forget that sometimes... or get lazy, but I actually enjoy cooking.  Many years ago when I was in college and Ryan and I were still living in California we took a trip to Fresno.  Ryan had to pick up a TV or some other random home theater merchandise from a store in Fresno which was, oh... about 3ish hours away.  Since all I had to keep me busy was school... psh... I decided to tag along!  We were all excited to go to TGI Fridays!!!  Our town didn't have one and for some reason it was the greatest restaurant of all time (I don't even like TGI Fridays anymore, and won't eat there unless it's someone's birthday... and they beg... or for desert).

We ordered something from the "Jack Daniels Grill" section of the ridiculously complex menu.  It was really good.  I had a stomach ache for the rest of the day, but we still had a lot of fun.  Anyway, Ryan has been talking about the JD sauce ever since, so when I received some cook books from a kind relative of his (about 5 years later) and actually FOUND the recipe for the sauce I figured I'd surprise him with it for dinner one night.

It was all going really well, and it smelled delicious, we were both excited for dinner.  I had everything finished and all that was left was to pour the sauce into a food processor (or use a stick blender if you're cool like that) to get all the lumps out and pour it on our fajitas!!!  I didn't have a food processor... I used the blender...........

The moral of the story is: Don't put hot liquids into your blender unless you have a death grip on the lid.  I was covered in hot, sticky JD sauce... it burned.  Then i had to clean the sauce off my cabinets/appliances/floor for hours.  When we moved a year later I found even more JD splatter...  I have not made this sauce since.

7 comments:

Mary C. Nasser said...

Great to meet you through the Blogging Buddies Etsy Team...
I am your newest blog follower! :)

I invite you to check out my blog, too!
Best,
Mary C. Nasser
http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

Anonyvox said...

Um, you are not the only one who has done something like that. Let me count the ways: homemade tomato soup, cream of asparagus soup, something involving mushrooms but I can't remember what...it doesn't seem to matter if I put my full body weight on the lid. Hot liquid goes everywhere. I am a slow learner.

Isobel Morrell said...

Aw...these things happen .... never let a failed sauce come between you and home-cooking! Just have another go - before you lose your nerve completely! If one doesn't make a mistake, one never learns! Look forward to hearing that it worked the next time - it's a new house,kitchen , and presumably a new appliance?

lazymondays said...

Thanks for stopping by Mary :)

lazymondays said...

lol. Good. To. Know. I will not attempt hot liquid in the blender ever again. I really should just invest in a stick blender if I insist on making sauces and soups.

lazymondays said...

So true - new kitchen, new appliances. But I think I'm ready to upgrade to a stick blender. Much safer :)

Susie Tenzer said...

Yikes! Lesson learned! I'm a new follower from the Etsy Blogging Buddies Team. I'm a colored pencil artist, here's my blog: http://susietenzer.blogspot.com/ thanks, Susie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...