Saturday, July 9, 2011

Farewell TV

It's official. We no longer have satellite tv service. Surprisingly, contrary to popular believe (i.e. me), the world did not cease to exist. I did not swiftly burst into flames of boredom and un-coolness.  

When I was in high school my mom decided that cable TV was a waste of money and we no longer needed it.  I died.  The very day that I moved out of the house I signed up for the biggest best TV service with all the bells and whistles that I could find.  It was unnecessary, true; but it was fun.  The fun has run out.  We contemplated getting an antenna so that we could watch local channels, but decided against it. We haven't scheduled our lives around TV since the invention of the DVR and really didn't want to start doing that. It is incredibly freeing... and the extra $70 a month is nice too... I have found that the TV generally stays off during the day, making me much more productive, and we have been watching a crazy amount of movies.

When Ryan and I started dating we used to go to the movies several times a week. There were times that we had literally already seen every movie that was out at a given time. I think this was due to the fact that we both lived at home and couldn't really get any privacy unless we went out somewhere.

Ah, the good old days.  We were about 17 in this picture.

When we started college and moved out we didn't really have the privacy issue, but money became a bigger issue so we stopped going to the movie theater.  Basically we have about 7 years of movies to catch up on.  It has been fun and it feels like vacation.  And Mom, I wish I had been ready for the lesson you were teaching when you dropped cable, had I "got it" I could have been $6000 richer today...  bummer.

4 comments:

Jenna (SewSavoirFaire) said...

I fear that when my other half and I move into our new place (mortgage...yikes!) that TV will be something we cut out at some point. I'm sure it'll benefit me in the long run because I get glued..super glued...to the TV!
Glad you are dealing with the change so well! :)

Lazy Mondays said...

I'll admit it, I was turning into a zombie :) It has been (so far) a very good decision.

Jenna (SewSavoirFaire) said...

Awww, but zombies are so under appreciated! :p

Mary said...

OMG, LOOK at you two in that picture! Couple of little kids! Adorbz.

I could let go of TV any time. Matt and Freya would be a totally different story, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...