Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Wreath

I've had the same "winter" wreath up since December.  It's now April and I feel the need to bring on the spring.


You like?  How about if I told you this whole project only cost $8.00?  What?!  That's right, this wreath is courtesy the dollar store.  Here's how I did it:

The only wreaths they had were these two, and they are both a little thin for me, so I wrapped them together with floral wire (which, admittedly I had on hand, if you didn't I suppose it would cost a little more...)


 And then spray painted it black


As you can see here it isn't COMPLETELY covered, but the goal was just to cover up the light color so it wasn't shining through the moss.  Also, my door is black so it kind of blends pretty well with any part that you do see.

I bought two kinds of moss, 1 bag of craft moss and 3 bags of reindeer moss.  I applied the "craft moss" first because I thought it was kind of ugly and dry and I was kind of just using it for filler.


It was soo messy!  Then I layered on the pretty green "reindeer moss" making sure to cover the edges as well.  By the way, I went through about 10 hot glue sticks, so be prepared to go glue crazy!



Then I wrapped the whole thing in brown ribbon that was left over from our wedding.  I think it may have been part of the programs?  Or invitations?  Is it bad that I can't remember?



I also bought these little guys:

 Pepper liked the birds
I have honestly never seen a bird with a green beak.  These needed to be painted.  I went with a pale yellow because we have some flower pots in shades of yellow out front right now, and I'm not into pastels.  Just about any color would work here though.



Then I just glued them all down and called it good!


It was kind of... shedding, so I sprayed the whole thing with hairspray... will this do anything?  I don't know, but I did it anyway.

Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

Christine said...

Very cute and so much nicer than my bare front door. Great tutorial!

Miss Charming said...

The wreath looks lovely! I'm your newest follower.

Lazy Mondays said...

Thank you ladies! And nice to meet you Miss Charming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...